FUE Hair TransplantFollicular Unit Extraction (FUE) Technique
FUE Hair Transplant
FUE Hair Transplant (Follicular Unit Extraction) technique which was first developed in 2004 and has been gradually improved especially after launching motor-based FUE in 2010. Dr. Civas has been performing FUE operations since 2006. In 2006 only 1500 to 2000 grafts could be extracted using FUE. Due to advances in medical technology, from 2010 a total graft transfer in a single day has increased to 2700-4000 depending on the patients available donor hair.
What is FUE hair transplantation?
FUE is a method of obtaining follicular units, where individual follicular units are harvested directly from the donor area, without the need for a linear incision. In this procedure, 0.6mm-1mm punches are used to make a small circular incision in the skin around the upper part of the graft, which is then extracted directly from the scalp.
Because this technique does not leave a linear scar, it is convenient to patients who want to wear their hair short. The procedure is also suitable to patients who have healed poorly from traditional strip harvesting or who have a very tight scalp. An important application of this technique is to camouflage a widened linear donor scar from a previous FUT procedure.
A significant advance in Follicular Unit Extraction has been the addition of “blunt” dissection to the original technique of “sharp” dissection followed by extraction. This was presented by Dr. Harris at the ISHRS in 2004. In this three-step technique, a sharp punch is used to score the epidermis (cut just the upper part of the skin) and then a blunt punch is used to bluntly dissect (separate) the follicular unit grafts from the surrounding deeper dermis. The third step is the removal of the follicular graft from the scalp using fine forceps.
The advantage of this technique over the original two-step process is that using a blunt punch minimizes follicle transection (damage). As the blunt-tipped punch is pushed into the dermis, the follicles, which naturally separate deeper in the skin, are “gathered together” within the opening of the instrument, rather than risk the lower portions of the follicles being cut off.
As a matter of fact, removing and transplanting grafts safely is the crucial part that leads to the desired result. Design of the hair line and angulation of incisions should be performed very carefully so the results are undetectable. That is why finding a good hair transplant surgeon is really important.
Please keep in mind that hair transplantation is not only a medical procedure but also an artistic approach that is directly related with the skill and ability of the surgeon.
Modified FUE Hair Transplantation
Dr. Civas one of the leading FUE hair transplant surgeon in Turkey, has seen over tens of thousands of hair loss patients in his career. Throughout these years, he has advanced his FUE transplantation technique; in order to bring out the desired natural result and ensure maximum comfort during the surgery.
Some of the features of the modified FUE technique are:
- Use of both manual and motorized technique; the motor is used to draw around the graft; then the grafts are extracted manually. This ensures minimal damage to the follicle.
- Punch sizes differ with the graft size; 0.6mm for the 1s Follicular Units (FUs), 0.8mm for the 2s and 3s FUs and the 1mm for 4s FUs.
- Soft hairline created by only the 1s FUs.
- Use of very high quality and specialized punch instruments.
- Implantation through lateral slits to bring out more thickness and density.
- Emphasis is placed on reconstruction of the hairline to give a more natural look.
- Completely painless anesthesia application technique.
- Use of very high quality anesthetic solution.
- The patient is fully recovered and can resume his normal duties 3 days to 1 week after his surgery.
- The surgery is minimally invasive; the tiny incisions are almost scar less and often completely disappear 2-3 weeks after the hair restoration procedure.
- Success rate of 90-97%
The major advantages of the modified FUE technique are:
- Faster implantation – transfer up to 4000 grafts in one session.
- The procedure is entirely painless.
- High precision in harvesting the grafts.
- Minimal follicular damage
- High graft survival rates
- Quick recovery of both the donor and the transplanted areas
- Proven 50% less swelling, due to the high quality hair transplant solution used.