Before Hair Transplant Surgery
Precautions to observe before hair transplant surgery
One to Two Weeks before hair transplant procedure
One week before hair transplant procedure, stop taking the following medication as they may increase bleeding during the procedure. You can resume them 2 days after the procedure.
- Anti-inflammatory medications
- B or E vitamins
- Blood thinners
- Herbal medication
Smoking constricts blood vessels and decreases blood flow to the scalp, predominantly due to its nicotine content. The carbon monoxide in smoke decreases the oxygen carrying capacity of the blood. These factors may contribute to poor healing after the procedure. You should abstain from smoking at least one week after the procedure.
Inform the doctor of any medication that you are on, or any health conditions that you might have that may affect the surgery such as allergies, bleeding disorders, sleeping disorders, asthma, high blood pressure, breathing problems, diabetes, psoriasis, a history of keloids or any other chronic diseases.
Ask the doctor before you take any prescribed drugs 1 day before the hair transplant. If you are taking finasteride or propecia, you can continue with your dosage as usual. Minoxidil or Rogaine should be stopped 1 day before the procedure then resumed after 2 weeks.
You do not have to shave your hair before you come. For FUE patients, we will shave on the morning of the procedure. For those having FUT or UFUE it is best not to cut your hair for at least two weeks prior to the procedure so that the sutures on the donor hair can be well concealed.
Let us know if you have special dietary needs as we will provide meals for you during the surgery breaks.
The Morning of Your Procedure
- Shower the morning of the procedure and wash your hair very thoroughly using your regular shampoo. Do not apply sprays, gels, or any other styling products.. If you wear a hair extensions, wigs or any other products, please remove it prior to shampooing and do not wear again until after the surgery.
- Wear loose, comfortable trousers and an shirt that is open at the front with either buttons or a zip. It is important that you do not wear clothes that need to be pulled on over your head – this will prevent dislodging the grafts immediately after the surgery.
- Eat breakfast the morning of the procedure and drink lots of water. We will provide lunch and snacks.
- Although the hair transplant is performed under local anesthesia. To keep you relaxed, you will be given a light sedative. which will make you feel drowsy. For this reason, you cannot drive yourself home after the hair transplant.
- The surgery takes the whole day, do not commit yourself to any other activities during that day.
Other important precautions you need to know before the procedure
- Do not bring cell phones to the surgery room as the surgery room should be kept sterile
- Relatives cannot see you during the procedure. However they can visit you over lunch and in the evening at the end of the procedure