DHI Hair Transplant
DHI hair transplant is the process of extracting hair follicles from the donor area via utilizing a micro motor and then transplanting them into the receipt site using a pen-like device that contains a hollow needle, these follicles are implanted directly into the targeted recipient area one by one. DHI hair transplant is a technique that is developed to minimize the transport duration between a collection of grafts and implantation.
The first thing that comes into mind when we say DHI hair transplant is usually the FUE method, lots of our patients are confused by these to techniques but there are actually several differences between the DHI hair transplant method and FUE hair transplant. Some of the questions asked by our patients are; do you use a Choi pen during your FUE hair transplant procedure or do you use the DHI implanter in FUE procedures. Well to answer this question, during our FUE hair transplant procedure we don’t use a Choi pen and this is because it is used only during a DHI hair transplant.
Procedure for DHI Hair Transplant
In a direct hair implantation also known as DHI hair transplant, the donor hair is removed individually with a special micro punch. In most cases, the donor area is the middle back of the head and this is because, compared to the front hairline, the crown or the middle head, this area is usually not so severely affected by the hair loss.
The extracted hair is then stored in a special nutrient solution before implantation. Subsequently, a mini needle, the so-called “Choi pen”, is used to implant the individual hair follicles in the scalp.
What is the Choi Pen?
The Choi Pen is the Choi Implanter Pen, a specialized tool used to implant hair follicles into the scalp or balding area on the head during the DHI hair transplant. Choi Implanter Pen is the original device that is developed by Kyungpook National University in Korea.
Once they have been extracted from the donor area, the implanter which is a pen-like instrument with a hollow needle attached to a tube and plunger on one end is the used. The needle is between 0.5 and 1.5mm thick.
The advantages of the DHI hair transplant
- DHI method enables the hair transplant to be performed without shaving the head, so this may be ideal for patients that don’t want to cut their hair.
- It’s a modern and simple procedure with a natural result.
- Since the hair follicles are used directly with a special implantation device, no entry holes are required during DHI hair transplant.
- Dehydration of the implants can be prevented and effective long-term growth is favored
- The procedure is almost painless
- No cuts, no sutures, no bleeding and no scars are necessary in DHI hair transplant.
- There is up to 95% survival rate for the grafts during the surgery.
Whereas DHI hair transplantation has a number of advantages there are also disadvantages as well.
DHI Hair Transplant at our clinic
The choice of hair transplantation technique depends on many factors such as the number of grafts needed, cost and recovery time. At Civas hair transplant Clinic we don’t perform DHI procedure because;
- The grafts are exposed to too much friction during (pulling in) extraction and (pushing out) implantation, this can damage the graft to a large extent
- The user cannot adjust to the shape, size and structure of the graft – the size of the pen; angle and shape are the same – so it’s easy to cut through grafts that have a different angle, shape or size.
- It’s not possible to plan and design the surgery effectively – Since the user extracts and implants grafts immediately without knowing the exact yield of the donor beforehand – he can easily put too many grafts on one side, then by the time he gets to implant on the other side, there’s not enough donor left to fill up the same density on the opposite side.
The Disadvantages of the DHI hair transplant
- The DHI hair transplant lasts longer compared to our Modified FUE technique.
- As for the method, it requires precision of the procedure, more attention and attentiveness is needed when performing this surgery
- DHI hair transplant is more costly.
- It is important for operation to be performed by a specialist with in-depth knowledge and vast experience.
- It is easier to transplant between hair strands only if the patient has non balding areas on his/her scalp.
- In DHI hair transplantation patients can only achieve higher density of hair if the area to be transplanted is not spacious.
- Maximum numbers of grafts that can be implanted is 2000 grafts.