Hair transplantation is one of the most frequently performed surgical procedures all over the world. The procedure takes about 8 hours and involves difficulties for both patients and surgeons. After-care instructions are important for the continuation of the good results achieved at the end of this difficult process. Some patients wonder what kind of diet they should follow for faster healing of the donor area and better placement of the transplanted follicles.
Diet lacking in the essential nutrients (minerals, vitamins, proteins, and fatty acids) can cause the interruption of normal hair cycling, inability of follicles to produce new hair. In addition, factors such as smoking and alcohol have negative effects on the healing process.
What are the essential nutrients after hair transplant ?
- Proteins: Protein is important source of hair and all body tissues. This helps to maintain and repair process. After the hair transplantation, patients should take protein rich diet so it helps in faster healing and also leads to hair growth. High quality protein rich foods like meat, poultry, fish, milk, yoghurt, cheese and eggs can be good choices for patients.
- Vitamins: Full spectrum of vitamins (A, B, C, D, E) are necessary for body health and also hair.
- Especially B-complex vitamins helps hair growth and wound healing process. Chicken, Meat, Bananas, Avocados, Brown Rice, Nuts, and Eggs include B complex vitamins.
- In addition, vitamin D has an important place in hair health. Some studies have shown that low vitamin D is associated with some alopecia.. Sun exposure is very important source of vitamin D. Otherwise patients can get vitamin D from liver,fish, mushroom.
- Vitamin C is antioxidant molecule and has role in healing process. Also it helps in the production of collagen and elastin. Contributes to the healing of both the recipient and donor area after hair transplantation. Some foods that are rich in Vitamin C are; Peppers, Kale, Kiwi, Broccoli, Berries, and Citrus Fruits.
- Iron: Iron is important for the healing process by helping to maintain adequate blood hemoglobin levels. Also iron is important for the hair texture and they also help in the proper flow of oxygen which results in good hair growth. Meat, fish, eggs, beans, pulses, green vegetables and dried fruit are sources of iron.
- Zinc: Zinc is important for the formation of new skin tissue and to help wounds to heal. Foods containing zinc are red meat, shellfish, milk, cheese
Although there are no studies with a high level of evidence regarding hair transplantation and diet, the above-mentioned foods may be beneficial. In Civas Clinic that is best hair transplant in Turkey, we suggest to our hair transplant patients Mediterranean type diet may also be beneficial.