FUE and FUT Hair Transplant
FUE and FUT are the main techniques used to harvest follicles from the donor region. FUE involves extracting grafts one by one from the donor area using special instruments. FUT involves dissecting the grafts from a strip of the scalp obtained from the back or the sides of the head. In both procedures, the traces of the hair transplant are visible only for a week. Patients can resume normal daily activities the second day following the procedure, new hair growth starts to appear in 2 to 3 months and is generally completed in 10 to 12 months. See hair transplant procedure.
Please beware that surgeons that are not fully qualified in both techniques would probably just offer one technique. It is better to select a physician that is able to do both techniques at expert level. With a well-trained hair transplant technician and a hair transplant surgeon, quick healing, minimal trauma, natural angles, direction and the distribution of grafts can be easily achieved in both FUE and FUT. Dr Civas, an ABHRS (American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery) certified surgeon, has an artistic hand and expert skills that always bring out natural looking results with both FUE and FUT.
How does FUT work?
- In FUTa thin strip of hair is taken from the back and/or sides of the scalp, and the area is stitched back such that the hair from above and below the scar completely covers the scar in a way that it is not noticeable.
- The donor strip is placed under a series of special dissecting microscopes where the individual follicular units, of one to four hairs, are carefully dissected into tiny grafts.
- These grafts are stored in a special holding solution and refrigerated while awaiting placement in the bald or thinning scalp (the recipient area).
- Meticulous stereo-microscopic dissection is a crucial part of the procedure, to achieve maximum yield from the donor strip.
- With lateral slit technique, recipient sites (tiny incisions) are then made in the bald scalp where the grafts are to be inserted. This technique ensures fuller denser and natural appearance. You do not need to shave the existing hair at the recipient area since the doctor can work within the existing hair.
- Once the recipient sites are made, the grafts are carefully inserted into the scalp. The 1FUs are placed at the hairline; the 2′s immediately behind them and the larger 3 and 4FUs are placed in the central, forelock area. The recipient site sizes are matched to the different size follicular unit grafts, so that a snug fit is created. This facilitates healing, enhances growth of the follicles and permits a very easy post-op care.
FUE & FUT - FUT Hair Transplant scar 10days after surgery
FUE & FUT - FUT Hair Transplant Scar Results
How does FUE work?
- In FUE a relatively large area in the back and sides of the scalp is shaved to approximately 1-mm in length.
- Instead of removing a single strip, as in FUT, a tiny circular incision is made around each follicular unit group. The grafts are then extracted, one-by-one, directly from the scalp.
- The tiny wounds are small enough to be left open and heal on their own, which takes about a week. The remainder of the procedure is similar to FUT.
FUE and FUT – Which is the best method?
- FUT does not require shaving all the hair.
- FUT leaves a thin linear scar at the donor area, however if done carefully the scar can be unnoticeable.
- As FUT is an invasive technique it cannot be used in patients with susceptibility to keloids.
- Healing process is longer than FUE
- Microscopic dissection must be carefully done in order to maximize graft survival hence bring out desired results.
- With this method natural results can be achieved by highly qualified surgeon and team.
- Advances in medical technology using latest devices inFUE allow high quality hair transplantation in good candidates resulting in higher graft yield.
- Grafts are removed one by one using manual or motor devices. It does not require a strip cut out of the donor area.
- Only tiny scars could be temporarily visible on the nape of the scalp that heal naturally without need for stitches or bandages, hence no significant trace even you trim your hair to zero cut.
- FUE technique patients heal faster than FUT, less pain is experienced and one week after the transplant, the patient is completely healed.
- Can be used with body hair transplant, where donor hair comes from the body (chest, legs, beard)
- In repairing a poorly performed hair transplant, FUE provides the flexibility to reposition and rotate grafts.
- This technique allows graft transfer to inaccessible areas.
- Exhibits natural results in facial hair transplant i.e. eyebrow, beard transplant.
- FUE requires shaving. By the end of 10-15 days post-op nobody will be able to detect the procedure.