The facts are well stated below:
- Balding is caused by shrinking of follicles leading to thinning of hair other than massive amounts of hair loss.
- Hair loss is inherited from the both the mother and fathers side. Not just the mothers side.
- Hair loss progresses with age and the earlier ones hair loss starts, the more bald you may end up as you age
- Hair loss is not caused by too much testosterone.
- Caps or wigs do not cause hair thinning.
- Androgenic hair loss cannot be treated by shampoo.
- Both men and women suffer from genetic hair loss
- Medications like Rogaine, Minoxidil and Propecia only help slow down hair loss.
- Forty percent of women will have female pattern hair loss by the time they reach menopause. Statistically, hereditary pattern baldness is more commonly inherited from the mother’s side of the family, but hair loss can actually be inherited from the father’s side, the mother’s side, or both.
- Many think that hair loss can be caused by wearing hats, frequent shampooing, clogged pores, or decreased blood flow to the scalp. These are all myths.
- Wearing hats:Many believe that frequent hat wearing causes hair loss because it “suffocates” the scalp. Hair follicles actually get oxygen from the bloodstream rather than the air, so wearing hats has no effect on hair loss.
- Frequent shampooing:When people notice that their hair is thinning, they often pay more attention to the hair that falls out after shampooing and assume that this is the cause. It is completely normal to lose up to 150 hairs per day, many of which are lost when you wash your hair.
- Clogged pores:If baldness were due to clogged pores, the solution would be to simply clear the pores so the hair could grow. This is not the case.
- Decreased blood flow to the scalp:Decreased blood flow is actually a result of hair loss, not a cause. Growing hair requires a significant amount of blood flow, but once the hair is lost, not as much blood is needed in the scalp.
- Certain drugs can cause hair loss. Many of them are used to treat:
- Heart problems
- High blood pressure
- Thyroid imbalance and iron deficiency are reversible causes for hair loss.
- Hair loss can be easily treated.
Surgical hair restoration involves scarring that can be difficult to hide. Dr. Wise offers two methods of non-invasive hair restoration at his practice.
The NeoGraft© Automated FUE (follicular unit extraction) Hair Transplant System for hair restoration provides the following advantages over other procedures:
- No scarring
- Little to no discomfort
- Quick recovery time
- Greater safety and efficiency
There are several types of hair loss:
- Hereditary hair loss
- Male pattern baldness
- Female pattern baldness
- Androgenetic alopecia
- Minoxidil and generics:
It is a topical (applied externally) medication that treats hair loss in men and women. It is applied directly to the scalp each day and it results in hair growth stimulation and prevents the thinning of hair. This medication can take six months to a year to produce visible results.
- Oral medication:
The most common oral medications are diuretics that remove excess of the water from the body. This blocks androgen production and prevents hair loss.
- Hair transplant:
It is a surgical procedure in which hair follicles are moved (transplanted) from one part of the scalp to another part where the hair is thinning or receding. A hair transplant is a procedure in which a plastic or dermatological surgeon moves hair to a bald area of the head. The surgeon usually moves hair from the back or side of the head to the front or top of the head.
- Laser treatment:
The theory of laser treatment for hair loss is that the low-dose laser treatments invigorate circulation and stimulation that encourages hair follicles to grow hair. Laser devices are used at home for hair loss treatments. They work by emitting laser light of low intensity to stimulate hair growth.
Advantages of Laser Treatment
- it’s noninvasive
- it’s painless
- there are no side effects
- it increases hair strength